Chapter 3: A Storm And An Accident

A crack of thunder ripped through the air. Without warning the heavens exploded and rain began to pelt down on our heads. The forest sure looks dark and creepy in a storm. Gramps opened his umbrella and I struggled with mine. For some reason I hadn’t managed to master the art of opening it. Gramps helped me but not before we were both drenched to the skin.

I caught hold of Gramps’ hand and urged him to follow me quickly. The path was turning slushier by the minute and a small channel of water had begun to flow in the middle. I hated being out during thunderstorms. The wind blew in gusts and chilled us to the bone. Gramps held my hand tightly. It was becoming more and more difficult to see. Then suddenly I felt a jerk and a shout. The sight that I saw chilled me to the bone. Gramps had stumbled on a loose rock and fallen.

“Are you okay Gramps?” I asked worried

“I am.” said Gramps. I couldn’t see his face but I heard the pain in his voice. I gave Gramps my hand but I was two weak to help him up. We tried but every time Gramps put weight on his left leg it crumbled under him.

Lightening lit up the sky. It was getting scary in the woods. I helped Gramps crawl to a big rock nearby. After a lot of tugging and pulling, Gramps managed to settle himself near it.

“What are we going to do?” asked Gramps voicing my thoughts aloud.

“I’ll go and get help!” I said bravely. I was however not feeling brave at all. The thunder and the lightening spooked me. We were a long way from home.

“You are too small to go alone.” said Gramps

“I will be fine.” I replied reassuringly. I kept Gramps’ umbrella by his side and wedged it between the stones. That way he did not have to hold it. After giving him a hug, I started off on the path.

This time the path wasn’t as bad as it seemed before. Though I hated it, the lightening turned out to be a great advantage. It lit up the path and made it easier to find my way. It took me a while but I made my way to the main road. The rain was pouring down and the wind was strong. It was strong enough to knock me off my feet every once in a while.

A number of cars passed without stopping. That was till I saw a police car passing by. I closed my umbrella and shook it to get the officers attention. Luckily he noticed me. I wouldn’t blame him if he hadn’t. The rain was coming down as thick as a curtain and visibility was poor. I was really happy to see the officer. It meant that I did not have to walk all the way home. My thoughts kept drifting back to my grandfather who was alone and hurt in the forest. The arrival of a grownup usually meant that everything was going to be alright.

*Dr. Karpac, my orthodontist, has been so awesome with the encouragement and support he’s offered. Thanks Dr. K!